Early orthodontic treatment can make a huge difference in a child’s self-esteem while reducing your costs.
The American Association of Orthodontists says that your child’s first orthodontic screening should occur when you first see orthodontic problems emerging (or by age seven at the latest). The advantage of an early first evaluation is threefold:
• It can help you and your doctor plan the best time to begin treatment
• It enhances your child’s chances of receiving a good treatment outcome
• It may help you and your orthodontist determine that no treatment will be necessary at all
• Why is age seven the “magic number?”
For most children, it’s around age seven when their first adult molars will come in. These molars will help establish a child’s adult bite. A thorough examination around age seven can predict common orthodontic problems like:
• Open bites
• Gummy smiles
If treatment is necessary, early orthodontic treatment is your best bet to give your child proper room for adult teeth to grow in, enhanced facial symmetry, a lower likelihood of having to remove teeth, a lower chance of experiencing dental trauma due to teeth that stick out awkwardly, and perhaps most importantly, a shorter time period spent in Invisalign or braces.
While adults benefit from orthodontic treatment too, we like to say there are 32 reasons to screen your child for orthodontics early (there are 32 teeth in the healthy adult mouth). Early orthodontic treatment gives your child a lifetime of beautiful smiles and sets them on a course for long-lasting dental health.
Comprehensive orthodontic treatment can correct a wide variety of orthodontic problems in children. Typically, Invisalign or braces are applied to correct misalignment and result in a healthy, straight smile. Orthodontic treatment time depends on the degree of misalignment and patient compliance (wearing rubber bands, utilizing a retainer). Usually, most patients can expect their comprehensive orthodontic treatment to last for 2 years.
Types of Orthodontic Treatment
The Invisalign® System mixes orthodontics and 3-D computer technology to create a series of clear plastic aligners that step your teeth through an amazing orthodontic transformation.
Not all braces are created equal. We choose to use Damon braces for the following reasons:
- Greater comfort – The brackets on our self-ligating braces are small, comfortable, and smooth. Put simply, they’re “easier on the eyes” and feel better against the inside of your lips.
- Fewer adjustments and shorter appointments – The technology used in self-ligating braces allows you to go a few more weeks between adjustments, which means fewer visits overall. Plus, the brackets are super easy for our staff to adjust, meaning that your visits will be more efficient, leaving you more time in your day for the things you enjoy.
- Wider smiles and optimal facial shaping – When you combine the technology of the Damon wires we use in all of our self-ligating braces with the skill of our orthodontists, we’re able to achieve a high-quality outcome for you, including a wider smile that subtly improves the structure of your face.
Corrects overbites, a condition that has been traditionally treated with headgear because braces alone cannot remove an overbite. It is completely contained inside the mouth, solving both of the main drawbacks associated with headgear. Since it works in conjunction with a growing jaw, the Herbst appliance cannot be used on adults.